Tuesday, November 20, 2012

AnyOne CanDraw, VIII

Eight Monday's in a row now, I've been hosting the AnyOne CanDraw sessions in my studio.  Hopefully nobody else thinks they can draw because we have reached capacity.  People were drawing from the rafters last night. 
 I had been using graphite all these weeks but I felt compelled to try my hand at charcoal this session.  Whoa. . . that stuff is squishy!  I had forgotten how much like painting it can be.  I found myself chasing proportions too much because a kneaded eraser turns out to be better then Control+Z.  I found myself geeking out on blobs and trying to avoid lines.  When the night was over however, I felt that I was missing a healthy balance, like the drawing below by Kevin Christman.
A balance of what though?  Stylized line and a Notan play of light and dark?  I've been tripping out on the codes/language of paint.  The new suite I've started I am going to call Exquisite Apophenia.  The over-arching title refers both to the Surrealist parlour game and the "unmotivated seeing of connections" accompanied by a "specific experience of an abnormal meaningfulness."

Can following rules lead to a surprise?  
Steven LaRose, "Everybody is a Witch Doctor Now"  2012
Acrylic then oil on wood, 20 x 16 inches

Steven LaRose,
"A Deliecious Story Versus Your Intimate Friend"  2012
Acrylic then oil on wood, 20 x 16 inches

7 comments:

Chris Rywalt said...

"A surprise reached by following rules" is a fairly apt description of organic life.

Steven LaRose said...

Yeah. . . I suppose it is.

Carla said...

I love the cohesive madness in these two paintings.

Steven LaRose said...

I like that. I should start collecting those sort of snippets for the movie poster.

"Cohesive madness" - Carla Knopp

Mary Addison Hackett said...

"It makes me happy to see AnyOne's Can Draws successes. Congrats agains."

Julie Devine said...

I have to say, I really love Everybody is a Witchdoctor Now.

www.windows7prokeys.com said...

The newest proxy indicated that numerous other Microsoft managers received one hundred percent of their incentive cheap windows 7 professional activation key payments, such as Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner; Chief Monetary Officer Amy Hood; Workplace President Kurt Delbene.