Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The other day, I started a journal.

A journal and a sketchbook are very different things. My journal lasted two consecutive days. I've got a couple minor health issues that are coattail riding on my recent (last year) tête-à-tête with cancer. Consequently, I thought I might measure my intake, output, and baseline. Hence the journal.

What sort of psychopath keeps a journal?

I left my gig on San Juan and ferried home with a three-quarter-finished sculpture. I haven't ground off all the spot-welds nor have I even learned how to TIG the seams.

A partially finished stainless steel sculpture can dress up the most Philistine yard.

I'm back in my own studio now. I'm getting some paintings ready to ship to the Marji Gallery in Santa Fe. I think I have had a major breakthrough in shipping technology: Insulation foam for pipes.

So here I am, back in my studio. . . trying to maintain a balance of what would be otherwise mind-numbing journal entries.



Most of the images in the video above will be shipped to the Herron School of Art and Design for an exhibition of blogger/painters that Carla has put together.

6 comments:

Carla said...

Good one with the pipe insulation. I had a similar eureka moment with those things, but it was a different application and I can't remember what it was. I can't wait to see the work!

Mary Addison Hackett said...

Kudos on the insulation pipe for corners. perfect. I thought i was genius for using that stuff to prevent my studio from flooding. It will be nice these works in person when I install. I used be be a psychopath with a journal, but stopped. I should get back. I might add pictures to mine.

Elaine Mari said...

Love the tip with the pipe insulation. I used it to keep cold air from coming in around the door for the car in my garage studio.

When I clicked on your blog post in google reader loud music started playing from out of nowhere. I thought what's that Larose guy doing now? Then I thought I had left a video open on another tab, then found the video on the bottom of your page. ..discombobulating for the spacy people comme moi.

I'm also the sort of psychopath who keeps a journal, but not of inputs and outputs and that sort of thing, mostly of plaintiff cries for help.

Nice Paintings!

Steven LaRose said...

Elaine, the video plays the moment I open the page too. That is a new one on me. I'll see if I can fix it.

harold hollingsworth said...

looking good both for shipping, great idea, and the sculpture! A sketchbook doesn't count does it?

Steven LaRose said...

I fixed the dang video so that it doesn't play on opening. Sheesh.

Sketchbooks don't count.