Sunday, January 27, 2008

Hunkerin' Down

I took the picture above at 3:30 PM today and the fat flakes are fallin' fast and stickin'. My family is assuming that tomorrow is a no-travel day. No school. No work. This is great because I spent the weekend painting one of our rooms a color called "Sultry Castle" using Devine's Powder wall finish.Now it is nothing but studio time with an open ended window. That's how I like my studio time. It takes a unique mind-set to be able to squeeze a couple of hours of reckless abandon in between responsibilities. It's not impossible, just not as enjoyable. That's why I'm a night painter. Nights are infinite for me. Nothing can stop me except my own stamina.

What these snowflakes mean is that I am going to have a larger infinite time in the studio tonight. The chores are done and there is unexpected "free" time on the horizon. The icing on the gravy is that Miso has finally become mature enough to hang out with me into the wee hours.
So, as I leave my wife and daughter cuddled in a blanket in front of the Jøtul, I pull the first piece of god-knows-what off of my stack to edit.
Should I keep The White Rock Girl? It is just a magazine advertisement. I've shared it with you now, so why keep this piece of paper around? I love the colors and the brush treatment and the clumsy font. I am embarrassed to admit that the objectification of the female form stirs some appreciation in my adolescent inner self. Past that, I wonder why I have been fascinated with the creamy/marigold/nicotine quality of aging paper? As a painter proficient in mimicking old shit, I often wonder why "aging" adds integrity? Is it simply the patina-like warmth of complicated colors? Image source
UPDATE:
And then the power went out.

8 comments:

tackad said...

I think there's this neat thing that happens when things and events pass into history and then into myth. Images become more fascintaing the farther removed they are from our contemporary life. And even if and when, there's bad composition or cropping or odd colors we tend to look "into" the work and allow and enjoy the nostalgia to tickle us.

Tracy said...

I love that wall color and am making a note of it as a possibility when I move my studio out of the living room and it can really become a living room. Won't be as nice as yours, but still.

The mirror collection is way cool.

Anonymous said...

Depends on how much a piece of paper can influence you or make your day. I have stared at pieces of paper, tacked on my "source wall" for years. Paper is definitely easier to store than almost anything else. For years I kept no canvases, nothing ever in a frame or behind glass... but I kept portfolios filled with paper.

Then of course the time arrives when it means nothing to you. And that's the time to ditch it.

Eva

Carla said...

"and then the power went out"

You were wanting it too bad.

Steven LaRose said...

Tackad, that is right. The distance adds some soft focus glamour to the otherwise mundane. It seems though, that this piece of paper has traveled too far away from my present place and it has lost much of its power.

Tracy, the mirrors are all Stacy's. And just in case someone might make a gender stereotype assumption, all the LPs are Stacy's too. And there are half as many more in another room.

Eva, I didn't even think of the collage potential. Should I put a folder together for you when you pass through next month? Or do you need to acquire your images on your own terms? That is, do you need to find them? Or do gifted images fall in the category of a friend trying to set you up on a date. "You'll just love so-and-so"

Carla, it was sooo fun to have the power out, even for a short while. The family is considering having Sunday nights as self imposed black-out night.

Kevin said...

I'm a sucker for antiquity. I have a huge pile of old books in my garage that I got from my grandfather when he passed away a couple year ago. I dug through them the other day and found some old high school year books. My favorite is one from 1929. Its got an embossed gold cover and the photos inside really show the the time era, its great. Everything about flipping though it is engaging; from the texture of the old paper, the smell of age, and the honest depiction of the times.

Those mirrors are so cool. Makes me want to start a collection of my own.

Bill Gusky said...

Heck yeah, keep the White Rock girl!!! She's awesome. Old printed matter is supreme --

Anonymous said...

Yes, please keep them for me - just because. See you soon, Eva